Friday, September 7, 2012

Day 3: Food for a Master

Pimento Cheese, that was the subject of today’s outing. Made famous to me by the Great Papa Watts, this wonderful food has always been a hit and miss for me. Sometimes you get it at the store and it's wonderful, other times it puts you off of the whole thing for months at a time. It took a little bit of research to find out why this was.

Pimento Cheese is a southern United States delicacy, most popular around Georgia, and it must be made fresh to be truly enjoyed. Many people it turns out get upset over the thought of store bought pimento cheese. Many families have recipes going back several generations and closely guard them. Even the Augusta National Golf Club has a recipe that is used for The Masters every year, because Pimento Cheese Sandwiches are the official food of the event. So lets get started with the most basic recipe and then well have some fun.

Pimento Cheese

8oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
4oz Jarred Pimento Peppers (Drained)
1/4 Cup of Mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper to Taste







Basically you just mix all this together and BOOM, you got it. But wait, that was too easy you say. Well lets talk about each ingredient one at a time for the cheese is only as good as it's parts.

I am ashamed to say that I short cutted out and got preshreeded cheese, but in my defense, I was in a made crazy hurry this day. You really should use a block of cheese and shred it your self on the courses greater you have. Now often people will substitute cheeses and I say more power too them. The most common substitution is a mix of cheddar and Colby jack, but you could use anything. A pepper jack would be the cats meow, and might be my next try. 

Pimentos, do you know what they are? A pimento is a large Cherry Pepper, and unlike other peppers it tends to be sweet instead of hot. Cut up and jarred with a little water these buggers just can't go wrong. Could you buy the whole peppers and dice them yourself, well yes. But the jarred type tend to be sweeter and mix better.

Mayonnaise, use real mayonnaise, that is all.

Salt and pepper is the place to begin. I also put some paprika in mine to brighten it up. Could you put other stuff, I should hope so. I have seen recipes with garlic, ginger, pickles, mustard, cream cheese, fresh herbs, and even BACON. Oh Bacon you make everything better. Run away with me Bacon and
we'll start a new life together, far away from.....

Well now we have the cheese, what do you do with it? Put it on a Ritz and enjoy, spread it between pieces of white bread and cut off the crusts, then pretend you are at a fancy party. Or go for the gusto and do what I did. GRILLED CHEESE WITH BACON ON POTATO BREAD!!!!!!!






Would I make this again: Very much plan to.

Music: Just the sizzling sounds of bacon cooking. It's audible wonder lulling me off to a dream land of ….